Here is a super easy and fun science experiment you can do with the materials you already have at home. Try using different colors of food coloring and adding different amounts of tablets. We can’t wait to see all of your lava lamp creations!
What You'll Need:
A clean 1-liter clear soda bottle
¾ cup of water
Fizzing tablets (such as Alka Seltzer)
1. Pour the water into the bottle
2. Use a messing cup or funnel to slowly pour the vegetable oil into the bottle until its almost full. You may have to wait a few minutes for the oil and water to separate.
3. Add 10 drops of food coloring to the bottle. The drops will pass through the oil and then mix with the water below.
4. Break the seltzer tablet in half and drop the half tablet into the bottle. Watch it sink to the bottom and let the blobby greatness begin.
5. To keep the effect going, just add tablet pieces. For a true lava lamp effect, shine a flashlight through the bottom of the bottle.